Data Transmission Protocols and Connections
WindX communicates with Windows, UNIX, Linux, or Apple Mac OS X servers using either Transmission Control Protocol /Internet Protocol (TCP /IP) or Telnet connections.
Under TCP /IP, WindX gives you multi-tasking (using standard UNIX Socket Layer and Windows Winsock). Using serial asynchronous communications, WindX gives you single tasking only.
WindX clients can connect using any combination of:
- Local Area Network (LAN)
- Wide Area Network (WAN)
- Remote access, serial and Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) dial up, Virtual Private Networking (VPN)
- Internet connections
- Communications may be encrypted via industry-standard SSL
Speed and Bandwidth usage by WindX is highly optimized. Only the user interface information travels across the network; this keeps network traffic to a bare minimum (allowing for more concurrent users on a connection) and increases data integrity as the data processing remains on the server. Data compression can also be configured in to provide even greater speed and improve overall system performance.
The WindX is licensed in two forms:
- As Part of PxPlus for Windows whereby each workstation requires a separate PxPlus windows license on the workstation that needs to connect to the host. This requires each active workstation to use BOTH a workstation user license and a server user license.
- As the "WindX Plug-In", which uses server-side licensing as part of the PxPlus Professional and eCommerce bundles. You can freely distribute and install as many copies of the WindX Plug-in as you wish. The server license controls how many users may connect any one time.
Generally the WindX Plug-in is preferred as it is easier to install and centralizes all license management on the server.
Simple Client-Server interface
The PxPlus simple client server provides a easy to configure method to set up and use WindX to run your application in a Thin Client configuration. It provides a fast, single port, connection to your host system that can be configured in either a clear text or SSL encrypted modes of operation.
The ability to reconnect dropped sessions is also provided for environments prone to network interruption and/or failures.
The Simple Client-Server interface is included at no charge in all PxPlus versions.
If you have a need for more a more robust solution, the PxPlus Application Server protects your data in the most hostile of network environments, such as the Internet: secure access control, user and application launch control, central administration, and access tracking. This technology establishes safe TCP /IP connections for your server based WindX applications.
Key advantages of the Application Server are outlined below:
- Uses only one TCP /IP Socket
- Designed for Internet /Intranet /Extranet environments
- Designed for firewalls and NAT devices
- Enables sessions to be launched as specific users
- Simplifies client-side configuration
- Provides informative error messages
- Platform independent
- Optional SSL encryption for sessions and traffic
- Application Configuration
- Limits to Clients Accessing Applications
- Full Logging of all Accesses
- Tracking of Active Sessions
- Administration of Active Sessions
- User Authentication