The PxPlus/PxBasic Language
Integrated Development Environment
Whether running from a text mode or graphical environment, PxPlus provides a full featured, robust development environment designed to speed up the development, coding, and testing of application software. Regardless of which environment you choose, text or graphical, PxPlus provides the following key features:
- Full screen editor
- Built-in debugger including ability to attach to running processes
- Global search & replace
- Selective program trace
- Conditional breakpoints
- Customizable syntax tables based on language of your choice
- Customizable colour syntax and font selection
- Application security
For Windows Platforms and WindX to UNIX/Linux hosts
When running in a graphical environment such as Windows, PxPlus provides access to a wide variety of standard graphical objects and functionality.
- Full access to numerous graphical controls (e.g., List Boxes, Multi-Lines, Scroll Bars, Grids, and Menus) for creating standard Windows look and feel
- Access to built-in system functionality such as the clipboard, Windows multimedia subsystem, and Windows Print subsystem
- Entry to the Windows Help system using Compiled HTML Help (CHM) files
- Separate debugging windows for command mode, program trace, breakpoints and watch values
- A comprehensive set of character and graphical utility toolsets
Programming tools and application-level utilities
The base system bundles the PxPlus engine with the NOMADS toolset, a suite of Rapid Application Development (RAD) tools: Panel Designer, Security Manager, Data Dictionary, Data Classes, File Maintenance, Query Manager, and Message Manager. In addition, PxPlus is equipped with a set of pre-built application level utilities, including Print Preview and Query Display. (more..)
Simple, convenient access to external technologies
To further enhance your applications, PxPlus supports a host of external controls, standards, and protocols:
- OCX/ActiveX/COM object automation
- Access to Dynamic Link Libraries (DLLs)
- DDE access to applications such as MS-Word, MS-Excel, WinFax, etc.
- Direct TCP/IP access for Server and Client applications
- A wide range of SQL Server tasks, such as:
- SQL I/O access methods using any SQL-based environments (Oracle, Informix, etc.) or by using PxPlus SQL statements and queries
- Migration from native PxPlus file structures to the SQL database file structure of your choice with minimal changes to your program code
A highly effective multi-user native file system
The PxPlus native file system supports numerous file types, including platform independent files, keyed and indexed files, O/S files (flat text or binary), fixed or variable-length records, delimited or binary records, as well as memory files.
File/table sizes can be up to 504 GB with over two billion records per file and individual record sizes up to 2 GB each. Keyed files can have up to 16 key indices per file, with each key composed of up to 255 individual field and/or field segments. Keys (indexes), data dictionary information, and record data for a specific file are stored within each file/table. For compatibility with other Basic systems, keys may be composed of both external and internal (record supplied) data.
Other features include:
- Integrated data dictionaries on a file-by-file basis
- Embedded program references in data files that can trigger instructions on file I/O events
- File journalization
- Built-in file reconstruction utilities for high speed recovery
Comprehensive support for third party file structures
PxPlus offers you additional power and functionality:
- SQL based and non-SQL access methods
- Direct access to Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, MySql, DB2 databases
- Transaction Commit and Rollback
- Advisory locking on all supported platforms
Coding advantages for maximum flexibility
With PxPlus, you will enjoy the flexibility of developing your programs in both tokenized and ASCII text formats. You can use tokenized code to improve operating speed in end-user and production environments. And, since PxPlus operates in an interpreted environment, you can create and debug your code on the fly. You can also control and fine-tune caching for maximum local and wide area network performance.
True Object Oriented Programming
PxPlus introduces an approach to Object Oriented Programming (OOP) that enables you to develop applications based on the key design principles (inheritance, encapsulation, and polymorphism) while maintaining access to your existing PxPlus applications and file structures. The language has been extended with a set of new directives and functions to handle OOP mechanisms: define classes, create objects, and reference properties and methods. PxPlus-based OOP objects can also be integrated into external applications using the COM interface with the PxPlus OLE Server Add-on.